Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Let Awesome J Be

So Curious J has been going to camp for the the last week and a half. Last week was Jr. Engineers. This week is Lego camp. Last week the kids were mostly - taller - than him. I would say older, but I know kids who are two years younger and the same height as J. This week, te kids are slightly taller, but seem mostly at the same learning level. My cute little napoleon-complex boy, being who he is from the parents he has, established his awesomeness early on.


The first day of camp, the camp leaders announced they would be giving out a Camper of the Day award to a kid who did an awesome job. J raised his hand and said "I'm J and I'm awesome." And so began his nickname of Awesome J at camp this summer.


Awesome J came back this week. I found him up against the window of his camp room with a piece of paper in his hand. He had been waiting there for my arrival to show me his certificate as "Camper of the Day".















I do worry about him. He can be sensitive at times. I am sure that having me around is a lot different than having other authority figures around. Sometimes, I wonder if he does better interacting and handling conflict with other kids better when I am not there. Today just reitterates that he does fine on his own.


As I was asking how J was doing last week, one of the camp leaders said he was doing just fine. I expressed my concern and she simply said to me, "Let Awesome J be." I need to follow that a little more I think.


So proud of you, Awesome Curious J.

No comments:

Post a Comment