Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Curious Tale of Curious J

In the past week or so, I have started noticing a change in behavior in Curious J. Today it became abundantly clear that this behavior will not be going away anytime soon. J has begun talking to - strangers.

This morning, we went to Sonic and he started talking to workers he didn't know saying, "hey, we're going to a car wash."

Later, we went to Old Navy to get summer shorts, and he started talking to other customers in the store. He would tell them what we were doing and what we were buying. He told one lady, "I have an idea about my clothes." He saw a little girl at the store and said "hi" (he is starting to say hi to little people his size) and starting mimicking what she was doing (which was playing with a belt).

Tonight he was telling one of the servers at dinner, "We're telling stories about books."

Who is this kid? And what did he do with my husband's kid? :) It does appear that he tells people factual things - what he did with his day, what he was doing at that moment. I have an idea it has to do with school and the confidence he gets from being away from his mom. I like this new J - just as long as he doesn't make strangers his new family.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! He's breaking out of his shell! At least he's got the good sense to only talk to strangers. PG walks up to them with her hands out and asks them to pick her up.

    I think she's just trying to get away from me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me a little nervous when Ella does that. I know I should teach her the whole, "don't talk to strangers" thing, but I don't want her to be afraid of people. I don't know...I'm just weird.
    Now Grayson has started saying "Hi" to everyone he sees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MT does this. Only not only does she talk to them, she tries to follow them around telling them everything about her life. She doesn't get that when people walk away from her, they are done listening.

    On one hand, I try to encourage her not to share the minor details of her life with strangers (baby, that lady doesn't care that you are spending the night with Nonni tonight, please let her finish shopping) OTOH, it is like pulling teeth to get her to share the details of her day at school with us. Usually I get "fine" or "I'm not telling you". Then, I want to encourage her to chat with people so I can find out what is up LOL

    ReplyDelete