Thursday, May 14, 2009

Same old, same old

so my mom and i had this conversation the other day. the same conversation we always have. she makes some kind of a religious comment, i usually make a comment that will provoke the questions she always asks... "what happened?" and i continue to tell her about my issue with hypocracy by others who are suppose to be loving and non-judgmental. that's part of it. (however, as time goes on, i am meeting more and more people who are not those type of people i just described.) the main reason, as i tell her repeatedly, is that i can't say there's a heaven when i die. and after expressing my unknowing of what will happen, she asks me "how do you not know there is a heaven" and then tells me, "well, i know there is a heaven."

i am sure i've probably blogged about it before, and i'll probably continue to every time she and i have the conversation.

3 comments:

  1. I don't believe in heaven, either. I think when you die, you just die. The idea is that who you are lives on in the people you loved and who loved you. There is something spiritual about that -- just no pearly white gates, angel wings or a dictator that determines who gets to go and who doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel similarly (although I always leave room for other possibilities). And it kind of pains me that that is what i believe because it gives me no solace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Solace for what? Death is easy. There's no pain when you're dead. Living is hard.

    ReplyDelete