Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Out of practice

So you can tell I am out of practice with this parenting thing.

Nick can get Jack to do almost anything with a little motivation. He using more options than he does discipline, but he uses discipline very appropriately (i.e. taking a toy away for not listening). He doesn't hesitate to give a consequence and for that, Jack listens better.

I, on the other hand, stink at the consequence thing. I can tell; when Nick is not around, I am the wishy-washy parent who has that second of hesitation to take something away; or I can't come up with choices or use humor appropriately to motivate. I am out of practice. And that guilt, that I'm not suppose to be experiencing but is really there anyway, well, that is keeping me from being the parent I should be. Because all I feel like doing is nuturing and loving and cuddling. This is the last bit of time it's just going to be the three of us, and being stuck in bed is not how I imagined spending those final days.

But is the way it worked out, and I need to figure out this parenting thing again; or else I am screwed.

Now, I am going back to watching this corny Miss Marple movie made in the 60s with the funny 60s music. Maybe I'll sew a lily pad or two this morning. Jack's birthday is only 11 days away. Holy Canoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment