Sunday, February 13, 2011

The weekend in review (update: a gripe of the weekend)

(Skip to the end for the positive part)
This weekend we decided to head down to our hometown to go to a going away party for my sister, Pastor M, who is about to get her own congregation as a pastor. I guess that is what those people are call. Denominations seem to use different words to describe the person with the same job.

Anyway, it gave us a chance to see my dad who just turned 70 and see my MIL, who is about to turn 62. Plus Curious J has been asking for a sleepover at his Gibbo's house (my MIL) since the last time he was there at Christmas. We also got to see my extended family on my dad's side at this shindig. Because it seems a little too ironic to travel TO a going away party from AWAY. ;)

BE did AWESOME on the way down. The entire family was talking during the car ride down. She even took two naps while I got to sit next to BDR. Seriously, awesome. The tricky part became that she did not take an afternoon nap during or shortly after the party. So at bedtime, she was very tired. Very tired in a different environment then her own. And to top it all off, BE has been a bad sleeper lately. I have held her for multiple hours during the night for the past 4 or 5 nights. Funny, because she is finally a very happy girl during the day. It can never be simple, right? So BE was up three times before 11pm. After everyone went to bed and she woke up I just decided to sit in the chair and hold her the next time she woke up. Well, that was stupid. She stayed awake until 1am, at which time she demanded a bottle to go back to sleep (in other words, she cried and cried no matter what I did until a bottle was given). Then we sat in the ever so comfortable chair tossing and turning until about 7am at which time she woke up. I try to not make BDR take baby duty on the trip down because I need him to be awake for the car ride home.

I hit a near breaking point last night. To not be able to sleep in my bed for majority of a night is really starting to mess with my head and my parenting. So as I sit here at 9:30pm, I am going to finish this blog and head to bed.

This morning, we (more like my ILs) promised J a donut for breakfast, but because of slowness, we didn't leave the house until close to lunch. To be fair, I have no problem with them giving him donuts for breakfast when we visit. Trying to coordinate two families to meetup, we had to reschedule donuts until after lunch and a trip to the toystore. You'd think I didn't just say trip to the toystore because he was not very happy to have to reschedule the donuts. Fortunately, he thoroughly enjoyed the toy store. Got some awesome toys purchased by his grandparents. Even BE got a couple of toys and a few very comfortable outfits that are easy to get on and off.

The trip back home was mediocre. BE didn't get more than 5 minute naps this morning or early afternoon. She is not a baby who can be transported sleeping. (Sigh) There really is something to having a schedule for her and I. So after she woke up in the middle of the car ride home, she was very angry - to the point of throwing up. I got to enjoy the rest of the car ride smushed between two carseats. Good times. I have never looked so forward to getting back to a Monday routine.

I do want to point out a few things that were positive.
1. It was nice to see my extended family again. We are all getting older; who knows how long we will continue to be able to do this. We were able to get in some good arguments - it wouldn't be a visit without them.
2. BDR and I got to enjoy two of our eateries from high school. Imo's pizza and Burt's Chuckwagon. (and Krispy Kreme, which was not around in high school)
3. J loved seeing his family. And while he loves everyone, he especially enjoyed hanging out with his Uncle, Ranger. Maybe it's because Ranger can act like a kid himself or the fact that he works with kids as a job. Listening to them talk last night was one of the highlights of the weekend.
4. J's got some cool new toys. LEGO sets! WOO HOO!
5. BE has been using her arms so much more this weekend. Grabbing bottles, grabbing toys, grabbing faces. It's beautiful.
6. As exhausted as I am, I have been enjoying that BE can now fall asleep on my chest. I got to enjoy that a few times this weekend.
7. As I am reminded by a very good person, no matter how annoyed I get with my family, they're intentions are always good. That makes me an extremely lucky person. And I know that. Hopefully the feeling is mutual. Even the annoying part. ;)
8. That beautiful 60 degree weather (yup, it was 60 there).
9. That car ride to our destination is one of those moments that will always stick with me. We were all participating in talking and singing. It made me happy.

See, I can find the good too. I'm just tired and cranky. Do you eyes hurt yet from reading so much. Then go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment